GCSE Maths Pearson Edexcel¹
Specification Pearson Edexcel Level 1/Level 2 GCSE (9-1) in Mathematics (1MA1) First teaching from September 2015 First certification from June 2017 Issue 2.
Qualification aims and objectives of the Pearson Edexcel Level 1/Level 2 GCSE (9–1) in Mathematics:
- Develop fluent knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematical methods and concepts
- Acquire, select and apply mathematical techniques to solve problems
- Reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences, and draw conclusions
- Comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
- Two assessment series available per year: May/June and November
- Each student is permitted to take assessments in either the Foundation tier or Higher tier.
- The qualification consists of three equally-weighted written examination papers at either Foundation tier or Higher tier.
- All three papers must be at the same tier of entry and must be completed in the same assessment series.
- Paper 1 is a non-calculator assessment and a calculator is allowed for Paper 2 and Paper 3.
- Each paper is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.
- Each paper has 80 marks.
- The content outlined for each tier will be assessed across all three papers
- The qualification will be graded and certificated on a nine-grade scale from 9 to 1 using the total mark across all three papers where 9 is the highest grade.
- Foundation tier: grades 1 to 5.
- Higher tier: grades 4 to 9 (grade 3 allowed).
Knowledge, skills and understanding
- 1; Source ::https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/gcse-maths-2015-specification.pdf